Let's Call It Love

"So you want to be entertained?"

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Random memories

Reading Tim's blog today, I realized that I walked a ridiculous amount while in Portland. Yes, it's true, I did get lost every day. Luckily, the river always showed itself, and if I followed it long enough, I would come to a place I had already seen.

As soon as we stepped off the Light Rail MAX, tugging on our luggage leashes, we were already lost. I had been studying Google Maps to avoid this situation, but a city view from above is nothing like the view of the city from the street. I was a hopeless navigator. I guided my family down SW Broadway, but in the wrong direction. I finally realized it and turned everyone around. Luckily, the weather was wonderfully cool and dry, so none of us were sweating. I had never before been so excited to be lost.

The fountains, the river, the bookstore, Jackpot Records, the Light Rail, I miss them all.

I remember one night we started walking at the edge of town where the nice park/walkway along the Willamette River began. It was getting dark as we were walking. I took some pictures of each bridge as we walked past, but none of the photos came out well enough to tell exactly what they were supposed to be. As it got darker, the homeless people began to gather under the bridges so that when we walked beneath the overpasses, we did so without speaking and while staring at our feet. There really were a large number of homeless people. I could picture Carrie volunteering her time to feed them at the shelters.

I remember listening to Maraca while riding the Light Rail and realizing for the first time that this was where they wrote the song. The evergreen trees in the distance were so fitting. I used to find some of the transitions in S-K songs to be a little bit strange (actually, they're simply genius), but after riding the Light Rail to the Oregon Zoo and finding myself suddenly surrounded by wilderness so close to the busy city, it all made sense.



Okay. I might be a little crazy. I can't help it. Portland is exciting.

1 Comments:

Blogger Slight Male Coyote a life in the day of said...

He! walking around strange cities has been a passion of mine for 10 years. You don't get lost cuz your already lost. I always make sure I carry a map and a compass with me though, ask Garrett.

I too found Portland an interesting place to wander in, it's what drew the thoughts out from reading Kristins blog. I too could feel the influences in S-K'S songs there, powerfully at times.
Must go back one day.

4:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home