Let's Call It Love

"So you want to be entertained?"

Friday, May 26, 2006

Blahhhhgerrrrr

I don't know much about Blogger. I started using it for school a few years ago but now I just see it as a place where I can write random and stupid things, never knowing if anyone will ever read it. After I wasn't required to blog anymore for school, I stopped using it and only came back recently to find that it's completely different. Something I do like is Xanga. It's got some interesting things like blogrings and something new called footprints, which lets you see who visited your page. I don't make much use of the blogrings, but it's interesting sometimes to check out the Xangas of people who have similar interests. I'm in a blogring called "Obsessed with Sleater-Kinney" but there are only three other people in it. I think they're mostly young kids (13-17 probably).

I'm trying to figure out why there aren't more people in this blogring. Right now I suspect that maybe it's because the older S-K fans are on Blogger instead of Xanga, but I could be completely wrong on this.

A good friend from high school just sent me a song by a band called Guster. The song is called "Barrel Of A Gun" and every time I listen to it I think about all of the people who are obsessed with Carrie Brownstein.




The lyrics (copied and pasted from letssingit.com):

i know a movie star, i've got her plastered to my wall
just like we're dear old friends, like she already knows me
she's perfect as she seems, lifts me right out the Mezanine
i finally fell in love, i've been waiting forever
4 3 2 1 went out the barrel of the gun
keep my head way down
stay out or stay in
half dead and half numb
she's enough to make me warm
it's all so safe and sound
lie back and fast asleep, if you could see what i could see,
drip, drop a lovely dream,
God damn you movie star, can't you just play a minute more
we'd be the best of friends, you could stay here forever
4 3 2 1 went out the barrel of a gun
keep my head way down
stay out or stay in
half dead and half numb
she's enough to make me warm
it's all so safe and sound
she will be sweet on me, just like a mystery
its not so hard to see, if im not mistaken
she comes from far away(far away), and gets closer every day(every day)
and all that i can say is that she's all i want and all that i live for
4 3 2 1 went out the barrel of a gun
keep my head way down
stay out or stay in
half dead and half numb
she's enough to make me warm
it's all so safe and sound


Okay, so she's not a movie star (if you don't count Fan Mail), but it's close enough. Some parts of this song seem quite creepy in the "Carrie" context, but the part that made me think of it that way was the line, "i've got her plastered to my wall just like we're dear old friends, like she already knows me." I've got S-K pictures and posters in my room and I can somewhat relate to the feeling that it seems like they know me because heck, they're always staring right at me. I know that's a stupid way to think, but you can't really help it if you've got their posters all over the place. Of course I realize that it's all in my head and I'm not obsessed to the point where they're all that I live for, but I could really relate to that one line.

When I say "obsessed," I mean that I listen to their music every day and read up on them because they inspire me and make me want to do something great in the world, just like how they have done. If I was ever in Portland I wouldn't "st@lk" them (you know what I mean...I hope I don't get in trouble for using the word!). It's not that kind of "obsession."

Anyway, I thought the song had an interesting sound to it and I liked how they incorporated some Latin percussion. The chorus is pretty catchy too.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This site is one of the best I have ever seen, wish I had one like this.
»

1:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home