Let's Call It Love

"So you want to be entertained?"

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

The Bedroom Recordings

I just realized that I am blogging at a very alarming rate here. Don't I have a life?? Yes, I do, but I also have a few awkward hours after the sun goes down when I don't really feel tired, but it's too late to do anything else.

I've been dreaming about making a CD. I've been thinking about all of the usual things like album art and lyrics. For the liner notes, I would probably just take digital pictures of my original handwritten lyrics and shrink them down to CD case size. Actually, I wrote my first "real" song on xanga as a blog post. Weird. I left that song on my old computer.

As for album art, I would want my best friend to paint pictures for me. She is a great artist, although she'll be the last one to admit it. At this point, I don't see myself ever doing it, though. If I do give out CD's (keyword: GIVE - I don't think anyone would waste money on them anyway), I'd definitely want to know the people who are getting them. I'd write little notes on each one to make it interesting.

I remember reading an interview where Janet said that she's glad that S-K doesn't have a huge crapload of fans (of course they do have a lot, but I think she meant relative to mainstream bands) because it would bother her to know that so many people were listening to them. I think I'm beginning to understand what made her say that.

I'm listening to stuff I did two years ago and I noticed:

1. Too many cliches in my lyrics. Agh, gotta stop that.
2. Really bad singing. Dang, I think it's still like that these days, too.
3. Really bad playing. Hey kid, ever heard of a metronome? Or at least keeping time in your head?
4. Emphasized "r" sounds. I must have been aiming for a career in Country music.
5. Awkward lyrical rhythm. I knew what I wanted to say, but the words came out sounding very unsure because I didn't know how to sing melodies.

Oh well, you'll see.

"The Bedroom Recordings" is coming out soon. It will contain previously unreleased tracks (a designation of "released" means that it has been featured on my music MySpace and a human being besides myself has listened to it) My friend Andy will get the only known copy in existence. Poor guy.

My mom gave me one of these today:



Hers looks just like that one, except it's black. Her dad bought it for her when she was 18. It still looks brand new. I was so excited when she handed it to me. I couldn't believe it was so nice. My old capo is a cheap but trusty Dunlop with the nylon strap. This new (or...um...old) one is built like a tank!

1 Comments:

Blogger Andy said...

You must also have a mailing list.

and a limited slightly different cd with a DVD.

Self-criticisms aside, you have to admit that you are constantly doing it that makes you stand out from others who like to hem and haw and think and not act on their creative energy.

12:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home