Let's Call It Love

"So you want to be entertained?"

Sunday, May 28, 2006

Go Google Yourself

My friend and I were Googling ourselves last night to see what the internet thought of us. It was fun, interesting, scary, and somewhat surprising. She got a decent first result (a newspaper article she wrote), but the second result was her MySpace, which didn't make her too happy. I Googled myself and found that the first result was the most recent assignment I had done from learningtoloveyoumore.com. It made me a little uneasy to know that if anyone ever wanted to find me, the first thing they would see (or hear, rather) is some crappy acoustic number that's supposed to be "the saddest song." I shouldn't say that I didn't see it coming, since the website does warn that their assignments show up high in Google search results. Just how high, I didn't fully realize.

The next result was another assignment from learning to love you more. I was relieved to see that it was the picture of the sun. I had done another assignment that was slightly more revealing than a sad song or a simple picture. That assignment didn't show up in the search, thankfully. The next two results were two separate newspaper articles that my name appeared in. The first one was something about sports. The second one was written by a guy who came to our gas station and basically put us under a microscope to make a point about the gas cap. It was incredibly well-written, but still a little embarrassing.

The next few results had absolutely nothing to do with me, but the very last result on that first page was a Spanish blog. My full name appeared in it (I don't think there are many, if any, others with my name), so I was naturally curious to find out what was going on. It was written in Spanish so I used an online translator. Most of the translation was rough and needed some imagination to be understood, but I was able to learn that it was a blog about the "saddest song" assignment from learning to love you more. This person had listened to all of the songs and then commented on the different levels and interpretations of sadness. I have no idea how he was able to come up with his deep reviews, but it seemed really insightful from what I imagined he was trying to say.

"Another sadness is accepted to itself, and the acceptance is beautiful. Like the subject of [my name here]."

Incredible! He hit it right on the head. The song actually was about accepting my sadness. I wrote it at a time when I was realizing how fragile people are and how sad it is that we have to lose each other. Many of the people around me had lost loved ones recently and I was trying to deal with the reality of it. I can't believe he figured it out, and IN SPANISH. Props to this guy. And, oh my, is that a compliment?? :)

I'd like to thank a complete stranger for making me feel a little less lame about writing another "sad song."



No, I'm not a model.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home